It’s great to get behind the wheel of your Mitsubishi but these days filling up your tank can be an expensive exercise. So we’ve asked our technical experts what are 10 ways to save on fuel.
- Take it easy. No one likes being stuck in gridlock but when you take off from the lights do it smoothly. Keep gear changes to a lower RPM where possible to avoid over-revving your car. Generally try to avoid jerky driving wherever possible, it’s not a race, you’ll get there in time and with more fuel in your tank.
- Plan your route. Don’t really know where you’re going and want to just wing it? A few clicks through your MMCS and you can ensure you’re taking the most direct way possible. Less time on the road means less fuel used.
- Be 4WD savvy. We know our Mitsubishi drivers love to get off the beaten track from time to time but driving on these rough roads will increase your fuel consumption. Keep in mind that you don’t have to always leave your vehicle in 4WD. When you hit the bitumen drop it back to 2WD to save costs.
- Take a load off. Our 4WD’s are designed to tow some pretty hefty loads but if you don’t need to tow your boat around all day, don’t. Same goes with equipment. Carrying around sports equipment from the weekend, deck chairs from last week’s picnic or your heavy toolbox? Take it out when you don’t need it and lighten the load.
- Care for your car. Servicing your Mitsubishi is not only important to maintain your Diamond Advantage Warranty and Roadside Assistance, but also to keep your Mitsubishi in tip top condition. Your local Mitsubishi service centre can check your vehicle over, check or replace necessary fluids, recalibrate your fuel management system and provide genuine additives and flushes to keep your car running at its optimum.
- Switch off. Using your air conditioner at low speeds can increase your fuel consumption dramatically. If you don’t need your air conditioner on, switch it off and put the windows down to let natural air flow keep you cool.
- Streamline. It’s great to see a fully kitted out 4WD with Genuine Mitsubishi accessories but these extra features do add extra weight to your vehicle, as well as increasing wind resistance. So if you don’t need it, take it off your car.
- Pump it up. Running your car with flat tyres can put unnecessary strain on your vehicle, increase fuel consumption and cause poor tyre wear. So take a moment to check your tyre pressure is set to the recommended pressures on your vehicle's tyre placard next time you drop into your local servo.
- Share the ride. How often do you look across at the traffic lights and spy a sea of just 1 person in each car? Too often. Well you can help cut costs by car-pooling! With a range of Mitsubishi’s offering 7 seats such as Outlander, Challenger and Pajero team up and share the costs, your fuel gauge will thank you.
- Go Green. To really save on fuel why not explore a green vehicle. Our Outlander PHEV gives you all the benefits of an SUV, but when fully charged can get up to 50km’s from its EV battery pack without having to run its petrol engine. Now that’s economical!
Do you have a fuel saving tip to share? Tell us on Facebook for your chance to win 1 of 3 $50 fuel vouchers! Term’s and Condition’s apply.